Community Resources

In this section you will fill information about community resources which are offered in the North that can help you gain access to services you may need. This information talks about various resources from the Ontario Disability Support Program to the Cochrane District Detox Centre.

•  Ontario Association of the Deaf

The Ontario Associate of the Deaf offers education and support to help all Deaf Ontarians meet their goals within their local communities.  Young people interested in athletics, student council, volunteering or art can participate in the Deaf youth leadership camp.

•  Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)

The Ontario Disability Support Program helps disabled people who need help paying  for living expenses. Full support payments are offered for college and university students who are also working while at school.

•  Ontario University and College Disability Departments

If you are a student with special needs, most colleges and universities offer many services to help you succeed in school.  For example, these departments can help you find a place to live or modify your courses based on your specific needs.

•  Learning Disabilities Association of Ontario (LDAO)

The LDAO is a charity that helps anyone with a learning disability and ADHD find resources, information, services and products within their communities that can help with whatever needs they may have.

•  The Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance

If you have ADD/ADHD, you can find information and resources to help make life a little easier on the Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance website.

•  Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB)

The CNIB helps young people experiencing vision loss cope and succeed in all aspects of life.  They offer student resources, summer camps, books, tools and other resources.

•  Access Better Living

Access Better Living helps people with disabilities in many ways.  They can help  find housing and community programs and resources.  They can even help with respite and attendant care needs for people with disabilities.

•  Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)

The CMHA helps people experiencing mental illness by finding services and support in their communities. They speak to the community about mental illness and they work with the community to offer programs and services that can help people with mental illness cope and succeed.

•  Children’s Treatment Centre (CTC)

The Children’s Treatment Centre helps children and young adults (0 – 19 or 21) with physical, motor or perceptual based difficulties if they are in an education program approved by the Ontario ministry of education.  They can help with Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy, Speech and Language Therapy, Social Work, Recreational Therapy, Tumble and Swing Group and Kiwanis Kids and Motion.

•  Cochrane Temiskaming Resource Centre (CTRC)

The CTRC helps people with developmental disabilities find services, support, programs and resources.  Their Infant Developmental Program helps infants from 0 to 5 years old who are at risk.

•  Cochrane District Detox Centre (CDDC)

The CDDC offers 20 beds in Smooth Rock Falls for people in crisis throughout the North East region and operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year.  The service is co-ed and bilingual.  The detox centre offers many services that can help people cope and recover, including:  Phase I-Crisis/Withdrawal, Phase 2-Residential Withdrawal Management Services Level 2, residential Support Services Level-1, Case management services/ safe bed initiative and Initial Assessment Services.

•  Jubilee Centre

The Jubilee Centre  can help anyone struggling with substance abuse and/or concurrent disorders through their 28 day Residential Program, 16 Days Day Treatment Program and Safe Bed Crisis support.

•  Kunuwanimano Child and Family Services

Kunuwanimano Child and Family Services helps people understand their rights under the Child and Family Services Act and other social services.  They also offer their own services, such as Family Support and Prevention, Advocacy, Band Representative Function, Counselling and Referral and Customary Care/Foster Care.

•  Victims Crisis Assistance and Referral Services (VCARS)

VCARS helps victims of crime, disaster, or tragic events through short-term crisis support.  It is a charity that works under the Attorney General and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year.

•  Victim Witness Assistance Program (VWAP)

Victims and witnesses of crime can  contact VWAP for help dealing with the event.   VWAP can be contacted  as soon as police have laid charges and they will continue to help and support with information and resources until the court case is over.  VWAP offers emotional support and information to help victims and witnesses understand what is happening with the police and court proceedings.  They also help prepare people for court, assess specific needs and make referrals to community agencies that can continue offering support after the case is over.   VWAP prioritizes vulnerable victims and witnesses, such as those involved in violent crimes (domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault, homicide and hate crimes).

•  North Eastern Ontario Family and Children’s Services (NEOFACS)

North Eastern Ontario Family and Children’s Services (NEOFACS) is an integrated agency, providing services to children, youth and their families in the Districts of Cochrane and Timiskaming. Our client responsive programs and services are innovative, evidence-based, and designed to meet the unique needs of those we serve.